By Dexter Yarbrough. Have you been feeling sluggish lately? Has your mind not been as sharp as it was in the past? Have your good looks started to fade? Well, if any of these things have begun to happen, it could be because you aren’t eating enough fruit. Perhaps it is time to sans the donuts, processed meats and chips in favor of the food nature gave us.
Including fruit in your diet is a sure way to make you healthier. So without further delay, here are the top ten benefits of eating more fruit – by yours truly, Dexter Yarbrough:
2. You really do need to have regular bowel movements. Seriously! Digestive problems such as constipation, diarrhea and abdominal cramping can be alleviated by eating plenty of fruit. Fruits contain natural fiber which will contribute to having regular bowel movements. It’s time to unclog your plumbing!
3. Eating more fruit helps to stimulate your memory. Studies have shown that those who consume more fruit daily can recall information more quickly and retain it better than those who eat little or no fruit. Even better, other studies have shown that those who drink fruit juices or eat fruit more regularly can lower their chances of contracting Alzheimer’s disease by up to seventy-six percent!
4. Weight loss! Yay! Fruit benefits those that want to lose weight. Fruit is low in sodium so they help reduce the chance of water weight gain. If one-third of your diet consists of fruit, you should notice rapid weight loss because the increased fruit consumption helps fill the stomach faster, thus encouraging less of an intake of high calorie foods.
5. Fruit fights cancer! Most of us know that a higher consumption of fruit will lower our risk of heart disease, stroke and cancers. For instance, dark-colored fruits like the blueberry, grapes and cherry contain anthocyanins, which is a substance that is effective in the treatment of cancer. Did you know that the papaya is a cancer fighting fruit? The fiber in a papaya sticks to cancer cells and flushes them out of the system.
6. Fruits are packed with vitamins. They have large amounts of vitamins, minerals and plant phytochemicals that benefit the body. Since fruits are natural foods, these vitamins and minerals occur naturally! While taking vitamins and minerals supplements is good, eating fruit provides you with these nutrients as opposed to getting them separately and artificially.
7. Fruit reduces the risk of developing cardiovascular diseases. Introducing more fruit into your diet also helps in reducing blood pressure and cholesterol. There is also a reduced chance in getting type 2 diabetes.
8. You certainly have heard the adage, “you are what you eat.” Free radical damage is the most significant reason we age. Free radicals come mainly from our diets, but also from exercise and the environment. They can be extremely toxic. The antioxidants that are found in fruit, including vitamin C, help to neutralize or reduce free radicals, which produces a positive effect in your health and against aging.
9. Fruit simply tastes good. There are literally hundreds of different types of fruits. As such, you have a variety to choose from to suit your individual taste. There aren’t hundreds of types of steak! Doesn’t it get boring eating the same-tasting slice of bacon each day? And there are a limited number of chips you can eat. Fruit wins hands down!
10. You will live longer. Studies show that those who eat a diet which mostly consists of fruit (and vegetables) live longer than those who don’t (excluding accidents and murder). The body is meant to be a lean, mean burning machine. It is not meant to be sedentary. People who eat more fruit tend to be more active and engage in more cardiovascular activity.
Well, there you have it. If you truly want to live longer, be more active, have a sharper mind and look better, start eating more fruit. You will begin to see the benefits almost instantaneously! Happy fruit-eating!
Check out this video for more health benefits of fruit.